Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

add symbol character to Catia V4 font

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyongyver Poller

Automotive
Dec 22, 2016
HU
Hi Everybody,

Does anyone knows how to add a unicode character to a Catia V4 font? I have SYM1.font set for corporate templates in drawings, which is a Catia V4 font. It does not contain the Unicode character U+2394 (it is a hexagon white black outline with no filling.) (I searched the fonts that include this character, but SYM1 is not among them. see this link: )

I found the source file of this font, but I do not know the method to edit it and add a new character. (enclosed the SYM1.font file)

Thanks for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

Hmm, interesting subject...

Check what is written in documentation here .

Below is just the paragraph which might be interesting for you, I don't know if is working for .font files but I believe you can give a try.

Font linking mechanism

A font linking mechanism of any TTF font with another TTF (TrueType Font) or TTC (TrueType Collection) font is supported on Windows only.

This means that if a certain glyph is missing from a font file, then the glyph will be displayed using the linked or associated font. Generally, these linked or associated fonts are of type TTC.

For instance, in the Drafting workbench, individual fonts present in TTC are displayed in a combo box for selection.
If the required characters are not found in the selected font, they are displayed using the associated font.

This capability is especially useful for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters. In that case, you can select English fonts such as Arial or Microsoft Sans Serif even though they do not contain the definitions of these glyphs. If appropriate entries for font association exist in the Windows registry, the characters will be displayed using the appropriate associated font (e.g. MSGothic in MSGothic.TTC).

If the style of the text is changed say from regular to bold, then characters from English fonts will be shown in bold if the specific version of font is available on the system, and the glyphs from associated font will also be shown in bold format if specific version of associated font is available on the system. If the bold version of the associated font is not available on the system, available version of the associated font on the system will be used to display the glyphs. This is applicable for other style change operations such as italic and bold-italic.

For more information about registry entry, see the Overview and Description-Font Linking sections at (the support for scaling factors is not yet available).

Windows registry values can be accessed or modified by using the regedit command as follows: select Start > Run... then type regedit and click OK.
Editing or modifying the font link entries in the registry can be done, but is NOT supported by Microsoft and hence not recommended. The wrong font link entry can leave the system unstable and impacts machine performance.

Regards
Fernando

- Romania
- EU

Thanks for the help.
This is not entirely what I am looking for. I need a solution that represents the special characters in the same style as in the original font. Otherwise it would be odd-looking if one or two characters look different in tables. So I was thinking it is possible to define/insert a new character for a specific font that I am already using. (basically a new "seat" in the row of characters and put something in it that is already coded.)

Regards, Gyongyver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back