add toolbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

moog3

Marine/Ocean
Nov 29, 2022
AU
NX2007,
I've created a custom drafting toolbar, and added to a "startup" folder which looks correct because the company's custom toolbar is there.
mine doesn't show up.
so i created a UGII_USER_DIR= enviroment variable but all that did was double up the company toolbar, mine is still not available.
i had a quick look at the log file, but cant see where NX is reading the company toolbar, it seems to say its all in my role.
can someone shed any light?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I managed to get it working by changing the file extension to .rtb
its now available as one of the top ribbon menu's.
I want to be able to just add it to the main drafting ribbon instead of having it in its own one.
I have undocked it and have it sitting over the top of the drafting tab..... for now....
I'm still used to the classic interface and haven't done any ribbon customising.
can someone suggest my next move?

If you want your commands to show up on an existing ribbon, you will need to modify the existing ribbon definition. The preferred method is to create your own "add-on" menu file that tells NX to add your changes to the existing file. The non-preferred method is to modify the OOTB menu file directly (this can be overwritten by NX during updates). The links below are to the Siemens online documentation, they might not work if you don't have a webkey account with them.

Using add-on menu files:

Loading add-on files at startup:

Add a custom ribbon tab to a specific NX application (modeling, drafting, etc):

www.nxjournaling.com

Thanks cowski,
I did some more blind tinkering yesterday, and in the drafting toolbars, I added "new group" then added "new buttons' and re built my toolbar, Copying the one previously used in a classic interface, which I then called .tbr or yesterday I called it .rtb
In answer to your other question.... I only use a text editor.

What I ended up with was what I was after, but I think it must be imbedded in my role file, as I can't find the actual "toolbar" file.
Once I've had this approved by my department, i'll roll it out for use to all users, this is when I'll really need a file that lives in the start up folder, so
If I want to add more buttons or more to the drop downs, I won't have to go messing with all their roles.

Thanks for the links, I'll see if I can figure out from that info

If you customize by "drag-drop" in NX,
the settings are stored in the user.mtx which you find in the c:\users\username\appdata\local\siemens\NXxxxxIf you then create a role, the user.mtx will be copied to a new file under
c:\users\username\appdata\local\siemens\NXxxxx\rolesand if you apply this role, it will copy the content of the selected file over to the user.mtx.
There is no "active role" , it is the user.mtx which is in action.
That said,
The user.mtx is also a bit dumb since it stores all customizations you do, and if you add "a button" today and remove it tomorrow, that button will still be in the user.mtx but no longer visible.

So if you plan of setting up a role for your company, start off by deleting the existing user.mtx ( or rename it to something that NX ignores) then start from scratch in customizing the user interface. ( one can see the difference in file size of the user.mtx when it has been running for some time)

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

If you are editing .men and .rtb files, you are using menuScript. MenuScript is the recommended way to customize the interface for an entire group of users; it can be managed from a centralized location and won't overwrite the users' individual customizations (mostly).

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back