Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding 8000 lb boat hoist to a covered dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

wifiathome

Computer
Aug 5, 2006
US
My problem is that the roof structure was never designed or constructed with this 8000 lb load in consideration.

Finding a structural engineer who is willing and able to assist has been a challenge!

Can anyone guide me to a source for steel load characteristics or help me determine the best way to add structural support to the roof structure?

This link is to the product I intend to use.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to continue looking until you find a licensed structural engineer. Do you really want to drop 8000 pounds if your kids or neighbors' kids are near the thing?

The boat is closer to 3000 lbs - You are 100% correct and I wouldn’t do it unless the numbers worked. Do you know who the licensing authority is?

Repeat, get a structural engineer to design the reinforcement needed to support the boat lift.

I was retained as an expert witness recently when a boat and lift fell at Smith Mountain Lake. The owner was hurt in the accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back