Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding non-uniformly spaced grooves to a shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcas

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2008
US
I’m a newbie and I’m looking for the easiest way to place a series of the same sized groove on a shaft where the grooves are not equally spaced apart. Ideally each individual groove would be located a specific distance from the end of the shaft. Currently I’m creating work planes for each groove and extruding the groove at each plane. There’s got to be an easier way. I tried a linear array but I can’t delete the original groove afterward and still retain the array. Any suggestions?

Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, send us pics. are they teeth or just grooves, because if they are grooves, you can just make a sketch the size of the shaft, then cut the grooves out, but if the are teeth then that's a different story, so pics would help.

I will try to upload the file. It's embarrassing because it so simple but I'm and old AutoCAD guy who is struggling with Inventor right now. I can get it done but I know it's not the right or simplest way. Ideally I would just enter the shaft overall length and the groove locations just as I have drawn. Thanks guys.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b3c54a7d-90c1-4568-b14e-5bba25a4c9ef&file=grooved_shaft.idw
I think there is a shaft generator which should simplify this task. However, you could also draw each groove in a sketch, making the sketch lines equal so you only have to dimension one groove, then revolve cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back