Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding offset to parts without messing up assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syllogism

Industrial
Aug 21, 2011
ZA
Hi All, Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

I'm currently working on a project that has a lot of interlocking steel parts. These parts need to have an offset of 0.1mm added to the joining / interlocking parts so that when they get laser-cut they will fit into each other. My first approach to do this was to offset particular faces inside of individual parts. However this soon caused severe problems for me since whole assembly would then break because subtracting 0.1mm from a face in an assembly would lead to a number of relationships breaking.

I can't be the first person who's needed to do this, I was wonder what the best approach would be to this. Perhaps there's some way to freeze or lock the assembly so that they don't automatically re-calibrate every time I change a part file?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sure, suppres the relationships and ground the parts.

However, kind of makes a mockery of parametric design if you don't then go back and fix it.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Hello,

Is there any way to create sketches or reference within the parts? You could use these as the assembly constraints and maintain the nominal position of the parts to keep the assembly constraints intact regardless of the offset?

Kyle

Hello,

I was thinking of adding sketches in the parts or add reference planes in the parts to be used when assembling them. The sketches or planes can remain independent of the faces you are offsetting. In the simplest situation, if you have to assemble two parts and you use their reference planes when constraining them rather than faces, you can offset the faces and the parts will not move around on you.

Kyle

Or you could use an assembly constraint that alignes mid points of the length or similar as appropriate but at this stage that probably adds effort, and isn't very parametric.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I'm with kjoiner. Mate to reference planes or a sketch within the part. That way you can adjust the face offset without affecting the relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back