Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding same component in multilocations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taner41

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2014
FI
Hi all,

I need a help with this task which I could not find out myself. I have a component and I want to add it to one assembly about 50 times in different locations. I have the x,y,x coordinates in a text file. How to do this fastest way instead of adding component one by one and writing coordinates manually?

Thanks and regards,
Taner

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Taner,

I can offer you to import the points from ASCII file to the work part and then use them as the basic points to add a multiply components. In this case you simply have to click each point without manual editing.

Ok this is not the best way but I did it like this: I once added the components manually 50 times using 50 different point expressions and recorded a macro. When I need to do this task another time I simply import the xyz locations as point expressions and playback the macro.

I would do it like this

1) Import the points to the components owning assembly via File->Imports-> Points from file.
2) Add the component that will be instanced and move it to one of the points.
3) Use Assemblies->Components...->Pattern Component.
4) Set Layout to General, and turn off associative under settings.
5) Select the point and component from step 2 as the from point and component to pattern respectively.
6) Select the rest of the imported points (box, lasso selection etc with filter set to work part), press ok.
7) delete the imported points and group from assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back