Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Adding straight lenght to entry port in Cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenbarb

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2013
US
I have been able to route a number of harnesses in the Creo 2.0 Cabling application but I can not figure out how to maintain a certain straight length to each end of the harness. In other words, I need a minimum of 10mm straight length leaving each connector. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Allen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wanted to make the wiring as one piece. What I ended up doing was adding a datum point 10mm from the CSYS I created and then adding it as a location in the wire route. It seemed to work!

One other general question I have is, for those of you who use this application in CREO how do you set up the assemblies? I was thinking I would create a separate wiring assembly and add it to my top level assembly. Now, here is the tricky part. I tried doing an external shrinkwrap of the entire assembly and placing it in the wiring assembly. Then, I tried to run the wire from the points in the External Shrinkwrap but now it wont let me since CREO sees the External Shrinkwrap as one connector.

They can be since I am just starting the wiring assembly. So I can constrain the connectors to the external shrink wrap? Then route the wires to the connectors?

That is the method I recommend.
Cable Assembly
-Shrinkwrap
-Connector 1
-Connector 2
-Harness

Make Shrinkwrap default constraint, constrain connectors to Shrinkwrap, designate connectors and their entry ports, route cable from connector 1 to connector 2, route cable and place locations on Shrinkwrap.

Thanks for the advice. We are just now learning ProE/CREO at my company so I have been tasked to learning as many aspects to CREO. So many more questions to come! My past experience has been with SolidWorks.

I was kinda in the same boat and took the lead on learning Cabling. I had the project pay for the training that PTC offers and that helped a bit. Most of the time I was learning the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back