Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding texture or image to a surface ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000mustanggtguy

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2005
US
Can anybody help me ? I'm having problems with a square part, and all edges and all faces are shaded to the normal solidworks setting, but on one surface it look like a marble image or a texture i really don't know what you call it and I want to change it back to the normal solidworks shade of grey.

I really don't want to remake it because then I'll have to check out every assembly ever made and redefine the new backplane in every card cage we ever made, and that is out of the question.
[cry]

Printed Circuit Board Designer
Stangs rule!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm a little unclear of your problem, but if it is, indeed a problem, it sounds more like a video card problem.

Or have you tried messing with the spotlights and shadows?

This sounds like a texture has been applied to that surface.

DOes the problem exist in the part itself or only when viewed in an assy?

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

go to the View menu, and turn on Appearance Callouts (assuming you have SW06). Click on the face with the texture. A callout should appear, click in the column with the bricks, on the row with the face. This should open the Prop Mgr. Here you should be able to hit the "Remove Texture" button.

good luck,

matt

CorBlimeyLimey,

The part is fine, but the part has a minded of it's own and it look like somehow "brushed metal" was applied, I have no idea how it was appled because we've never used texture ever so I'm a little lost.

Nella95,
video card is fine, because i've brought up the assy on other engineering computers.

[banghead]

Stangs rule!

I'm confused ... does the part (when opened on its own, not in an assy) have a texture or not?

Does the texture only show up in an assy?

What version of SW?

[cheers]

Right click on the face and go to face->appearance->texture->remove texture. Do you have this option?

then right click on the face and go to feature->appearance->texture->remove texture. Do you have this option?

You must be on 04 or higher if you have textures.

On 06, matt is right for the best way to handle all, cofiguration mangager -> RMB on the part -> appearance ->apperance callouts.

There are macros to remove all colors from parts, not sure if any exist for textures.

When the part is opened it looks fine.
The part changes when I open the higher assembly, were the part is used.

Stangs rule!

OK, that means that the texture has been applied in the assy.

If you have SW06, do as dezignstuff suggested using the Appearance Callouts.

If pre-SW06, do as rfus suggested. If that does not work try removing the colour instead. I have no idea why, but in some cases, removing the colour of a face is the only way to remove a texture.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back