Adding to the hydraulic system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselfixer

Automotive
Aug 12, 2021
US
HI All
I am in the process of swapping the body from my old mechanics truck to a new cab & chassis. The body has a hydraulic crane on it and I need to add a hydraulic powered air compressor to it. My question is what do I have to add to the system to hook up the compressor and run the crane & compressor from the same hydraulic pump? Maybe some sort of diverter valve as I won't have to run both at the same time?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, how much power can the pump supply? I don't think of small cranes as requiring much power to operate, just high pressure and relatively low flow. This is likely larger than an engine picker, but those still only require a small amount of human effort to operate and humans are low on the power output scale.

Start with the schematic and figure out how much power you want in order to run the compressor. Then a meaningful change to the schematic can be suggested and then component selection can occur.

A power beyond connection on the crane valve so that the crane has priority and then you can power the aircompressor downstreams of the crane valve.

why a hydraulic powered air compressor?
I understand you are in need of compressed air. But pneumatic systems most often run intermittent, intermittent use, and intermittent air supply to a pressurized air tank. Also, pneumatic systems are not really a good choice for high-power applications. So have you analyzed what volumes of compressed air you will need?
Have you researched any electric compressor options?
To make a compressor power by hydraulics is basically a bad idea. If you insist on a hydraulic powered compressor I would recommend installing a small fixed displacement pump to your combustion engine. But when considering that it will be as easy to install a small belt-driven compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back