Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding visual effects to SolidWorks animations

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineeringDr

Mechanical
May 28, 2004
CA
I would like to use SolidWorks in my engineering classes' animated illustrations. Is there a way to add visual effects for example:

to show fire inside an internal combustion engine,

jet engine after burner exhaust,

laser light for machining,...

There are many features needed. I currently have to export files using third party software to (.OBJ) to Blender but can not do it directly!

Jet_engine_afkfoi.jpg

ICE_firing_sbw05s.jpg

tfstep1_rg2hpc.gif

PhD Mechanical/Industrial Engineering
Licensed professional engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is not possible in SW animation. You can take the resulting video and move it into Camtasia or something and add the effects.

Otherwise, you might look into SW composer. That will give you more freedom, but it probably won't be an end-all solution.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

SBaugh said:
That is not possible in SW animation. You can take the resulting video and move it into Camtasia or something and add the effects.

Otherwise, you might look into SW composer. That will give you more freedom, but it probably won't be an end-all solution.
Currently, I use SolidWorks built-in visualize, and 360 photo...
Here is one route, export files in OBJ file format. Import file in 3D animation software. I checked Blender however Blender is not straight forward. I am not also sure if it can import SolidWorks animation. I have also checked Blender tutorials. Most of the available tutorials teach 3D modeling which I don't need.
So far, I can not find an easy to learn and use 3D animation. I don't need very evolved animations just adding things that can't be done in SolidWorks.

3DDave said:
Perhaps some inspiration: The really short lessons are purposely sped up; the beauty of YouTube is you can play them back as slowly as desired to see all the steps. Leading my favorites is Make Nightmare Men.
where is the lessons? I do not see any video about SolidWorks!

Many moons ago I made marketing content like this using exported SolidWorks/ProE models but rendering them using Cinema4D. It had some amazing tools for animating flames, particle effects, etc.

C4D isn't free like blender, but if tasked to make this content again I'd factor in the time saved to get the result for the cost of 1 month subscription (which is less than my hourly billing rate for consulting work).

Code:
Many moons ago I made marketing content like this using exported SolidWorks/ProE models but rendering them using Cinema4D. It had some amazing tools for animating flames, particle effects, etc.

C4D isn't free like blender, but if tasked to make this content again I'd factor in the time saved to get the result for the cost of 1 month subscription (which is less than my hourly billing rate for consulting work).
I am not sure if I understand you correctly. Do you mean that C4D would save time over Blender at a cost? also how did you import your model into C4D knowing that SolidWorks does not export .obj or .fbx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back