Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Additional Fasteners on Existing Metal Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng_Struct

Structural
Sep 23, 2022
CA
I need to provide additional metal deck fasteners along a perimeter wall (30m)to provide adequate diaphragm shear capacity. The existing deck is composite steel metal deck with concrete topping. Chipping the concrete to expose deck is going to be a lot of work. I am wondering if the deck fasteners (self-driving screws or hitli fasterns) can be installed from below through the flanges of the joists into the flutes of the deck.

Overhead fastening might be difficult to do but wondering if anyone has expereinced this in the past. I do not see any otherways to strengthen the diaphragm and client does not want to do anyting with concrete removal to expose the deck.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think welding would be your best solution. Not sure how a fastener from underside will work, its the wrong direction for a fired fastener, and with concrete there you would fighting that with any drilled and screwed option.
Same with sidelap fasteners right?

How far out are you on your current strength? Are there things you can do to reduce the loads?

Might help with some background

The Hilti fasteners can be installed from below, if you go to their fastening chart they do have values for anchors and fasteners installed in the underside of metal deck & concrete. You could also use Hilti Profis if you pay/ want to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back