Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adhesive design for skin to honeycomb core bonding in sandwich structu 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engroma

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2008
CH
Hi

I have to select an adhesive for skin to honeycomb bonding.
I have been thinking of comparing the lamina FEA stess results with adhesive mechanical properties.
I wonder if that is the right way to go ahead.
Do you know whether there is a standard calculation procedure to predict the stress applied on the interface between the lamina and the core?
Do you know any paper or book references about that?

Thanks

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The adhesive properties are less relevant than the core strength. Usually a well bonded panel will fail the core in shear rather than the adhesive. (In practice the bond between the honeycomb and skin sometimes fails before the core, but this is usually because of a shortcoming in manufacture. A well bonded panel will fail the honeycomb first.)

For sandwich panel design see the Hexcel document at
and the Diab one at
are good basic references. See also
for additional background and
The latter is the modern version of their classic TSB 120 document.

Zenkert "An Introduction to Sandwich Construction" is probably about as standard a reference as you'll get in a textbook, though Tom Bitzer's "Honeycomb Technology" is also referenced in the Hexcel document. An earlier book by Howard G. Allen "Analysis and Design of Structural Sandwich Panels" is also very worthy, if out of print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back