Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adhesive for Polypropylene 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Harbin

Materials
Feb 15, 2018
US
I am looking for a durable weather resistant glue to use on corrugated polypropylene, anyone have some good recommendations? (More info below)

I would need a glue that can withstand lap-shear and t-peel forces. I would also prefer an easy application and quick set time as these are assembled by hand.

I have tested a few hot glues(recommendation does not need to be a hot-melt) and some work very well at room temperature but fail in cold and hot temperatures, many of my products are used in the shipping industry where they will be subject to temperature extremes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

3M makes many adhesives for high energy plastics, that would be my first place to search.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Thank you epoxybot, I stand corrected. Low energy is the term to search. It's tough getting old!

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

ornerynorsk (Industrial)

Your welcome, I sometimes get intrigued by come new product while confusing surface energy with surface tension and upon making the realization of my error, discover I have been reading a snake oil pitch dressed up as a magazine article.

Surface energy and surface tension are essentially the same thing. Surface energy is used for solids and surface tension is for liquids. A liquid with a surface tension of 40 dynes/centimeter has a surface energy of 40 ergs/square centimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back