Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adhesive for Powder coated Surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrouseHntr

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2014
US
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and signed up to get some guidance on an adhesive issue I've run into on a hobby project. I'm trying to bond cloth to a powder-coated steel framework and am having issues with adhesion. Any conventional solvent based adhesives I've tried exhibit very poor adhesion. Most likely due to the low surface energy of the powdercoat. I'd appreciate any guidance and recommendations on some adhesives that I should consider with reasonable working times. I'm likewise open to any surface modification recommendations that would allow the use of conventional adhesives however keep in mind I really don't have the capital to invest in plasma or corona treating equipment.

Any and all suggestions are most appreciated!

Thanks,
Ron

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you know what material was used for the powdercoating?

Have you tried abrading the powdercoating (e.g. sandpaper)?

After solvent cleaning and abrading, I would use a two-part epoxy for the adhesive.

Your problem is likely not due to surface energy. A solvent based adhesive will soak into a fabric and leave almost no adhesive on the metal after drying. You will probably have much better results using a contact adhesive designed for fabrics. Contact adhesives are also solvent based so the have to be specially designed not to soak in to fabric. Spray-on adhesive will dry a lot before contacting the fabric so soak-in is less likely. Fabric shops should carry it.

Thanks for everyone's comments and direction. I'll check them out.

The powdercoat used is a polyester powder coat. I tried using a 3M 08301 Fast Tack Trim Adhesive which is a rubber based contact adhesive in a hexane solvent. I've used it before to adhere cloth and vinyl to painted surfaces without issues which is what lead me to believe there is something peculiar with the polyester coating that prevents adhesion. It's either something leaching out of the coating or it is low surface energy preventing a good bond. As a really rough test, water just beads up and does not wet out on the surface like it has a coating of wax on it. The powder coat is really tough to score but I'll try hitting it with some 80 grit followed by an acetone wipe to see if that increases adhesion before I look to other adhesives.

Some polyester systems use paraffin wax as a surface sealer to prevent oxygen from interfering with the polymerization of the plastic.
You might try using a de-waxing solvent first.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

You should abrade this by brushing the surface with a propane torch and clean any surface you are bonding. Some paints do contain additives that make them easier to clean, i.e., repel dirt and stains. These are usually wax (polyethylene or ptfe) particles and probably will not dissolve. You can try flame treating the surface after abrading it. You can do this by brushing the surface with a propane torch. The point is not to char or heat the surface but only to expose it to the reactive molecules in the flame. For example, you can brush a flame over your skin without burns, if you do it right. With a metal substrate you want to warm the surface enough so it you do not get condensation from the flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back