Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adjustable gear door hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary70

Aerospace
Oct 17, 2011
US
Hi,

I currently do a trade study on the gear doors design to make easier and faster for rigging and installation. Upon installation, the gear door need to be fair (gap and step) with the adjacent panels. To achieve this goal, the door need to swing along the fwd and aft hinge/fitting hinge lines so I think of the designed serrated hinge with the elongated hole.
On installations, the hinge are adjusted by placing the serrated hinge and serrated washers in the proper position and torquing the mounting bolts, which allows linear adjustments (see attached picture). The amount of linear adjustment is controlled by the length of the elongated bolt hole in the door hinge

Would you think this could be the feasible design?

Thanks.

Gary

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i'm sure it can work, the tolerance build-up has to come out somewhere. I think there are many ways to vary the spatial relationship between the hinge line and the OML.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

That system looks difficult to adjust, as you have to open the door to adjust the hinge position. The ideal design would be adjustable with the doors closed.
Of course the best solution is to get the manufacturing jigs & detail design right and eliminate the requirement for the adjustment.

It looks good as far as it goes, you have a side to side adjustment. What about up and down?
How are you going to going to ensure the door lies fair to the to the panel. Or are you going to cheat and micro balloon the step?
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back