Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

administrating Pro-e without upsetting the users

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteele

Military
Sep 21, 2001
US
for any one that has suggestions for administrating Pro-e without upsetting the users, I am looking for ideas....
How does someone make the transition from AutoCAD support to supporting Pro-e. I dont want to come off as "administrator" right off the bat. Id like to start slow and then gradually make changes to stds,procedures and etc. What should be the focus in the beginning? I am to get w/management and give them a agenda.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jsteele,

I have twice been involved in companies with partial or full transitions from Autocad. I found the following effective:

1 - Explain what and why changes are being done
2 - Have you standards, configurations, formats, symbols, etc. setup and tested before hand. There will be some teething pains, but nothing is worse than having stuff not work.
3 - Document, document, document - procedures, standards, techniques
4 - Assuming you have the right support, make a clean definite break from one system to the next or have clean, definite goals for the transition. This will minimize user confusion as to what happens when, how to make the change, etc.
5 - Build "go to" people for specialized techniques that your organization is faced with - i.e. Surface, Sheetmetal, Assembly techniques. The system is to big for one person to be the end-all, be-all expert.

Good luck.

Regards,
Jeff Zemsky :)
Plug Power

Define and Document your standards!!!!!

If you are straight ISO or ANSI, you are in good shape.
If you are working with a home-grown set of standards, look out!!!! Getting Pro/E to look like your AutoCAD is NOT fun and can be a real show stopper.

Next step. Get very familiar with the config.pro and *.dtl files. These are the equivalent of the AutoCAD setvar stuff.
Read and understand every environment setting.

Create start parts with your embedded standards.

Recreate some autoCAD details & assemblies in pro and get buy off of the new pro product!!!!!!!
Have people work off of the same start parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back