Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe Illustrator and SolidWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

serspec

Mechanical
May 23, 2008
US
I have been tyring to get files from SolidWorks into Adobe Illy for a while now and am having issues with it. Everything I try is either not full scale, all messed up, or comes into Illy as nothing. Does anyone use this feature or have any input for me? SolidWorks has a function under edit to "copy to Adobe illustrator". And as far as I can tell it does absolutely nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using SolidWorks 2009 sp5.1 and Illy CS4

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most of the stuff I've attempted between the two haven't worked for me, either--at least not as expected.

Is this for line-work (2D drawings)? If so, did you know you can save a drawing view from your model/assembly in perspective? And that the drawing will show the same view in perspective, as long as it's a "saved view" within your part/assembly (nice to have for patent drawing output instead of mere isometric). Anyway, I think line drawings are the only thing that will convert to a useful format within Illustrator.

I don't use Illustrator, since "illustrating" is quite difficult when one cannot even specify a dimension for a radius without an expensive-for-no-reason add-on to the program. [tongue]

Jeff Mowry
A people governed by fear cannot value freedom.

I set up my Adobe PDF for my printer to print Adobe files - then go File->Print - and select the Adobe printer. It works - more or less. If I scrutinize the drawing I'll find a little hiccup or two, but never when I print it again.

I have tried saving the drawing as a .dwg and it comes in as a bunch of straight lines instead of curves. Unfortunately that is not an option. I will try the pdf method right now and see if it works. Thanks for the input guys and if you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them. I just dont understand the whole, "copy to adobe illustrator" feature that seems to do nothing at all.

Theo,
I have not tried it that way but I definitely am going to. And yes it is for line-work. It is very frustrating that the two programs act like they would work great together when nothing actually works out. Thanks again for the input guys

Chris,
I actually know and have discussed this situation with the author of that article you posted. And I dont have any issues bringing an ai into solidworks... I can't export from SolidWorks into Illy.

Yeah... I have definitely tried save as .ai. I have spent quite some time trying to get this to work. That method works but again, any spline turns into a bunch of straight lines. For what I am doing I need to have smooth corners on everything. I'm starting to assume I am out of luck.

That Could be. I have absolutely everything maxed out on my settings though. I dont know what else I could adjust to make it come out cleaner. And as far as I have found there is no options when saving as an .ai. Possibly something SP5.1 did differently than 4.1?

I've had some success going from AI to Pro/E and back via DXF.

I've gone SW to AI via PDF and gotten vector. Specifically, a SW drawing with no shaded views to PDF then to AI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back