Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adobe Illustrator file, *.ai, as guide for sketching 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepp

Industrial
Aug 21, 2006
NO
I have a logo (adobe illustrator - .ai) that I want to extrude on the surface of my product - but it seems hard to import and use this file. Can anyone telle med the easy and correct way to do this? I have a surface, a *.ai-file and I am ready to sketch!

Sketch > data from file? I manage to get something importet, but I can't use the lines for extrution. And the geometry I import is overlodaed with references.

Another thing I have wondered about is how I can place a background image - I just want to have it as a background to draw sketch after - i dont need the references - cause this is a scan og a handmad drawing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to trace over it, you might be able to import the AI file using Insert-->Shared Data--> From File. This should (theoretically) bring it in as a curve, avoiding the whole sketcher nightmare.

I haven't had much luck importing illustrator files, so as Hora suggested, I have them saved as DXFs in illustrator first.

If you're tracing, you might want to use ISDX (Style feature) and use the trace sketch tool to lay down a JPG. If you don't have that, make a flat surface and apply your image as a texture to it to trace over. Making it semi-transparent helps, too. It takes some work to get it right but it'll probably be a heck of a lot easier than working with the vector art.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back