Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ADS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leiser

Automotive
Apr 19, 2007
ES
Hi,

I am simulating an LNA for NF. I loaded the antenna S parameters to the input port. But when running the simulation there was a problem "No DC convergence" I am using a spice model for the main transistor. Simulating the LNA with 50R is ok, but the problem comes when loading the antenna S11 into the port 1.

Does anyone have an idea of what´s going on?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

yes, I used the DC blocks, it´s a good point.

When I used a 50R input port the circuit works perfectly, without problems. When I replace the 50R by a S1p file then ADS says "No DC convergence". Strange!!!

I you have any other ideas they will be welcome!

Thanks.

What happens if you put a (virtual) high value resistor, like 100K ohms, between the input and ground? Just to give the algorithm something to work with. This is based on the assumption that your antenna element is essentially an open circuit at DC.

Hi,

I have tried that but it didn´t work.

I have attached the ADS file in case you have time and can have it a look. When I load the input with a 50R port the circuit works fine, but when I load the antenna impedance then there are some problems, before I had the "no DC convergence" then I changed the way to import the antenna impedance and now it has some problems at one frequency, strange!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5f10600b-9daa-4556-bf90-d184946719af&file=LNA_prj.rar
Well if 50R works and 100K doesn't, then as a first step perform a log-scale binary search pattern to see where it stops working. If it requires 5K (for example) instead of 100K, then at least it might help you to get started again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back