Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced Linking and Math

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesusman

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2004
US
Picture a cube with rectangle flanges on top and bottom. I have drawn this cube and the insulation that covers it. I have 4 differnt sizes of insualtion (drawn as spearate parts) and two of each of them to cover this cube for a total of 8 peices of insualtion. The Length and width of each piece are linked dimensions. I need to have a single line in the BOM whos description reads "Insulation, 3" thk, xxSq Ft". I can take care of the single line, but how do I link the area of all 4 peices of insulation then multiply by 2 and divide by 144 (to get Sq ft) and put that end value into the description of the BOM? This value needs to be rounded up to the nearest ft.

For instance, lets say I need this value for two peices.
Peice 1 is 12x24
Peice 2 is 14x18
That's 540 in^2 or 3.75ft^2 I need the 3.75sq ft to appear in the description, but maybe round it up to 4.

Thanks!

J.D.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have time right now to test, but i think you can do this with a design table & custom properties.

Have Excel calculate the area - name that a custom property.

In your BOM, have a column that lists square feet - link to that custom property.

The help menu explains more about the custom properties & linking them to a design table.

-ejc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back