Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced machining cutter control

Status
Not open for further replies.

goatsrus

Aerospace
Jul 13, 2004
US
In multi-avis curve machining, isoparametric machining, etc. I have the need to use a constant cutter tilt, relative to the drive surface, normal to the forward motion, while using zig-zag path. The tool paths keep indexing the tool axis angle from positive to negative. It must be something related to climb/conventional for each path, but I don't find a way to disable that check.
Anyone know what I'm missing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are actually zig zagging the cutter will have to
pick up at both ends of the surface and re-index to get
your set lead or tilt angle, you may want to change from
zig zag to one way next.

If you'd like I'd be glad to look at an example file and
give some suggestions. We've been using V5 for about 4 years
now, specifically the cam with a bunch of multi-axis stuff.

Chad

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I don't want to reorient - I am driving off the surface at both ends and just want to index slightly across the surface while maintaining a slight clearance on the side of the cutter. Somthing similar to the old BSURF in APT.
In the old days it would be driving percent lines on an apex surface.
There has ro be a way - just too old & dumb to find it.

Try using Isoparametric Machining path. Click on the Tool Axis and set it to fixed axis. Pick the tool axis system above, and set to manual and pick angles. Enter the desired settings. It sounds like you want the tool locked in position, and maybe this would work well. I've also used this method with other types of paths, when I need the tool locked in position for clearance.

-Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back