Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Advanced reading material

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is a list of Fluid Power books, I have collected over the years, to add to Peter's offering.

"Fluid Power Design Handbook," by Frank Yeaple
"Fluid Power Technology" by Don Norvelle
"Fluid Power Theory and Application" by James Sullivan
"Power Hydraulics" by Miachel J. Pinches & John G.Ashby
"Principles of Hydraulic System Design" by Peter J.Chapple
"Fluid Power Systems and Circuits" by Russ Henke
"Fluid Power Maintenance Basics and Trouble Shooting by Richard J. Mitchell and John J. Pippenger
"Basics for the Fluid Power Mechanic" by John J. Pippenger and Greg Gordon
"Zero Downtime Pneumatics" by Dr. Z.J. Lansky P.E. and John J.Pippenger P.E.
"Fluid Power the Hidden Giant by John J. Pippenger,P.E.
"Fundamentals of Fluid Power" by William D. Wolansky,John Nagahosian & Russel W. Henke
"Basic Fluid Power" by Dudley A. Pease & John J' Pippenger
"Designing Basic Pneumatic Control Circuits by Bruce McCord
"Hydraulics" by Deere & Company
"Trouble Shooting Hydraulic Circuits" by Rory McLaren
"Industrial Hydralic Contols" by Peter Rohner
"Industrial Fluid Power Vol's. 1,2 & 3 by Womack Machine Supply Co.
"Fluid Dynamics" by W.F. Hughes & J.A. Brighton
"YourGuide to the Electronic Control of Fluid Power
by the National Fluid Power Association
"Pneumatics and Hydraulics by Henry L. Stewart
"Hydraulic Cartridge Valve Technology: by John J. Pippenger
"Electronically Controlled Proportional Valves" by Michael J.Tonyan
"Industrial Hydraulic Systems" by D.D. Banks & D.S. Banks
"Zero Downtime Hydraulics by John J. Pippenger

Bud Trinkel, Fluid Power Consultant
HYDRA-PNEU CONSULTING

Excellent, now if we can only get book reviews!

"Industrial Hydralic Contols" by Peter Rohner
This one looks interesting.

I would like to add
"hydraulic systems analysis" by George Keller. It is old, the examples are dated but the math and the physics of hydraulics hasn't changed. This books is the first published books I have seen with the equations for calculating actuator speed for a hydraulic circuit. It is a little more complicated than Jack Johnson's VCCM equation. I have often wondered if Jack Johnson didn't clean up George Keller's version of the VCCM equation.

Peter;

I know the list may look extensive but a lot of these books are my age or close to it.

I don't know how, but, I would like to check out all the Electrical and Mechanical books and text books that have been written and published in that amount of time and compare the number offered. I believe the contrast in numbers would be overwhelming.

But, that is what I would expect from a field of endeavor that has no formal training and no titles such as Fluid Power Engineer or Fluid Power Maintenance Mechanic.

HYDRA-PNEU CONSULTING

Some additional reading material would be:

"Hydraulic Component Design and Selection" Dr. Fitch and Dr. Hong
"Hydraulic System Assurance" Dr. Fitch and Dr. Hong
"Fluid Contamination Control" Dr. Fitch

But if you want the original text regarding hydraulics, which originated from MIT, check out

"Fluid Power Control" by John F. Blackburn, Grehard Reethof, and J. Lowen Shearer.

Those three names above are the grandfathers of modern hydraulic analysis and study.

I believe from there, one when to Penn State, the other to Raytheon and I think...but may be wrong...one stayed at MIT. Dr. Fitch would be a second generation hydraulicist and Dr. Hong the third in this line.

The three from MIT, were the original commissioned engineers to begin hydraulic research after WW2.

Additionally, I have heard, but not have had time to read, that the following book was designed to be a follow up for Fluid Power Control

"Hydraulic Control Systems" Herbert Eugene Merritt

What a difference in the AMOUNT and VARIETY of books from the Electrical Field.

Maybe having TRAINED/DEDICATED persons Designing and Applying Electrical Equipment has helped that Field of Endeavor MOVE FORWARD at a FASTER PACE.

Will TRAINED/DEDICATED Persons ever be the Norm for the Fluid Power Field? From most of the Feedback to questions asking about TRAINED/DEDICATED Fluid Power Persons, I have my doubts. BUT, I hope to be proven wrong someday.

HYDRA-PNEU CONSULTING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back