Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Advertising Tips 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsquared

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2003
I have recently started my own system integration, Automation engineering firm(in business 1yr). What are the best methods for advertising. We are existing on word of mouth currently but would like to expand beyond our current networking circle.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience is that advertising simply does not work for engineering services.

Word of mouth and use of contacts is the best way to expand your business. Unfortunately it is also a slow process.

Expand your contacts. Attend trade shows and other industry events. Offer to give speeches at technical society meetings. Don’t make this a outright sales pitch, just say that here is one innovative solution that we have used for a common problem and let them decide if they can use your services.

Look at other than industry and technical contacts. I have gotten work form a fellow scout leader. Look at social and community events as an opportunity to expand your contacts.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

I have been self employed for 25 years in various business ventures. I am new to the engineering business; however, I believe that most businesses are similar.

1. Try to target the audience that needs your services. Most forms of advertisements are aimed at the masses. You will spend a lot of money to reach people who do not need your service with most method of advertisement. There are a limited number of people who need the professional services of Engineers.
2. Once you make a list of potential prospects. Research their business. Find out who the key players are and who in their business can influence them. Find out what type of specific services, that you can do, that the prospect needs. Find out as much as you can about them.
3. After steps 1 & 2 above you should have a list of businesses that need your type of service and the people you should contact. In my life, this is where things get strange. I will attempt a cold call (unscheduled meeting) with the prospect to discuss how I can fulfill their business needs. Remember step two should give you this information. This meeting should be about what you can do for them, not about your needs or wants. I usually do not get to meet with my intended prospect; but instead, it is the receptionist, company employee, or someone who just happens to be there that will tell me how to proceed in landing the account. Also, during these chance meetings with people, ask if they know of anyone else that might need you service. People usually help if you are sincere and politely ask for it.
4. The most important thing is to be sincere. If you truly believe that you can provide a service to your prospect at a completive price, the sell is easy. Tell them you would like their business straight up and look them in the eye. You will probably be told that they already use another firm. This is where you state that if they should ever have a problem, to give you a call. Sometimes it takes several visit and years to land the account. Sooner or later, there are problems with business relationships.
5. Timing is everything. The odd thing is that you don’t usually don’t know when the time is right to make the pitch. So don’t try to pick the perfect time, just go give it a try. If you find yourself needing more business, go out find it.
6. I agree with RDK. It is bizarre where you will meet potential clients. So, get out of the office and your home if you need some work. Do something where you will meet people, not just people who need your services. Surprises are in store, if you are sincere and not afraid to ask people for help.
7. Lastly, try to have some fun when you make your contacts. Your emotions will be contagious. If you are depressed, pretend that you are having fun. Magic happens when you have the right attitude.

CRG

One afterthought;

Be confident, look confident, and it is normal to feel a little less confident than the image you are projecting. Amplify your inner confidence. Show enthusiasm. Just have fun.

CRG

Thanks CRG,
Sounds like good advice. I can most certainly benefit from what sounds like years of experience.
Vsquared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back