Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Advice Wanted: Engineer from Repair Station to Field Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclerob

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2014
US
Hello everyone, I am seeking advice on advancing my career. I am currently working in an aircraft repair station as the engineering and quality control manager. I have been in the same industry since I graduated high school (10 years). While going to school for my BSME I was able to advance in the engineering department taking on various hydraulic projects. I have been in management for close to a year now, and I have to say that being just an engineer is what I really enjoy.

A little background: In the repair station, I have had to design and fabricate tools and test equipment to OEM requirements. I have also had to design and fabricate universal test stands which can accommodate various units. All the while documenting everything that is performed and how it satisfies the requirements ultimately developing the capability for the company. I have worked on flight controls, power plant and interior accessories. I can model on SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and have experience with PLC and closed-loop controls.

The place where I want to be is closer to the aircraft. I have knowledge in the test of aircraft components and think this would translate well to field testing of the aircraft. I also want to pursue an MSAE but this would not translate well in the repair station.

I have applied to various places and have not been able to land an interview. I feel like there is something I am missing and would like to get some others thoughts on this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back