Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aerial Taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceVol

Structural
Aug 3, 2009
US
So I'm fresh out of school and learning the transmission trade. My boss is on vacation. I'd like to come up with a solution before he gets back. I've been working on a project where a 115KV line on H structures must go under a 161 KV line and then over a bridge at a 90 degree angle and 40' higher than the ground the tower will built on. I have never heard of or seen a situation similar. The current configuration is two dead ends at right angles that are aerially taped, but the massive bridge does not currently exist. I must significantly raise one set of the towers. To get the line over this new bridge I have to figure out a way to get one section low and one high, but the difference is 40'! Has anyone heard of a 40' tap? How do I figure out if this is ok? I can't find regulations specifically concerning taps in REA or TVA. My concern is adding a significant load to the insulator on the top part of the tower. I believe blow out would not be a factor if there is very little slack, but that adds quite a load. Is there another solution? Maybe eliminate the aerial tap configuration and jumper 40' up a new tower somehow? I would simply like someone to show me a similar problem and how it was solved. Drawings would be fantastic. Thanks
See str. 5803 and 5804 in the attached drawing

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If there's no limitation on how tall Str. 5804 can be, I would consider running pipe bus on post insulators to make up your verical height difference. See photo attached of a similar installation. It will be a pretty heavy load at the top.

At first I thought about setting 5804 at a 45-degree angle spanning the east-west portion of the circuit, but you are awefully close to the railroad track already.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cf167e87-b998-4f0e-a3b7-3044f01f3394&file=20100226153152.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back