Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AERODYNAMICS - FORCES ACTING ON AN AIR FOIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps, but considering the situation, how else would one approach the task of training hundreds of new recruits in basics engineering principles during a time of national emergency (the film was dated 1941 after all). You can say what you want, but when it came to training a large of number of people in skills which they did not have prior to them entering the service, the Army always seemed to manage pretty well.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I just listened to a similar presentation by Jack Norris, ( Logic of Flight, and Propellers the first and final explanation.) last weekend, he was working hard to keep the class awake. Although he did have some later information, he was covering most of the ground that film took. ( I watched it to the end.)
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Yes, John, and last time I checked we still won the war. But the posted example is not necessarily one of the reasons, though it was a start.

My Dad had a copy of his AAF training manual from the '50s. Much easier to read than my aero text from school. It's also clear from watching various old training movies, that this one predates the inclusion of Hollywood film-makers. Some of the Disney produced training films are still masterpieces - easy to watch.

The example posted above is a classic example of poor production by adapting a professor's lecture to film: the long pauses after each topic is introduced is apparently intended to allow for note taking by the class - which is impossible to do very well when sitting in a darkened room. The end result is an appallingly slow paced movie almost guaranteed to lose the attention of the audience before all the information is imparted.

If its an consolation I found the graphing of pressure areas from the wing interesting. Fundamental perhaps, but Im not an aero guy.

Brian,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back