Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AEROFOIL Generator and puzzlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

G1DESIGN

Bioengineer
Feb 28, 2003
GB
Unfortunately dont know what happened to my other thread?

Does anyone know of a good NACA aerofoil generator I want to take the xy plot int a 3d cad system

I need the section to have low drag and work between 20 and 50 mph

any advice freatfully recived as i am not an aerodynamics whizz by any means.I am reading about the subject but its very difficult to get the right answer from the web so i thought i would ask here first

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are looking to learn. The web is not the best place to look. I suggest getting yourself a good textbook on aerodynamics for starters.
Or if you are sufficiently well versed then some papers in the Journal of Fluids and Structures is a great place to find some new information.

Fe

i was using something called designfoil to generate the xy points but its difficult to get it into cad soi i just thought maybe someone knew a section that was in that speed range and could point me in the right direction

thanks for the rplies though

Here a simple guide line to chose your airfoil:

First you need to know the associated Reynolds number.

You need to calculate the following:

ReynoldsNumber=(FluidDensity x Velocity x ChordLenght) / FluidViscosity

For the Chord use the Mean Aerodynamic Chord Lenght, try to find in the literature the geometric calculation of that chord.

Then you need to find in the Cl vs Cd curve, the smaller Cd that you can find for your design Cl.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back