Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aeroheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

gluesniffer

Aerospace
May 8, 2003
GB
Is there any guidelines on the levels of aeroheat generated at various airspeeds?

I am interested in bodies travelling between mach 2 to mach 5 and the aeroheating that they would be subjected to. Would there be any sigificant differences between the leading edges and planar surfaces.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Quite simple Mach number calculations:

T_0/T = 1 + [(g-1)/2]*M^2

where T_0 is stagnation temperature, T is static (ambient) temperature, M is Mach number, g is specific heat ratio.
g can be approximated by (n+2)/n where n is the degrees of freedom of the gas, which increases with temperature. For room temperature, diatomic conditions n=5, g=1.4. I think g~1.2 for re-entering Apollo command modules.

Dig around NASA's website for historical stuff about the X-15. I remember reading an article on their website about the heating problems on the hypersonic aircraft. Significant damage was found on the wing surfaces after hypersonic flights. Other surfaces, such as around the windshields, also suffered surprising amounts of damage.

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back