Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Afterburner Ignition Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcopps

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2005
US
I am seeking a good reference on how afterburner ignition systems work on existing systems in high altitude/low pressure conditions. Designs and drawings or performance data would be useful.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dcopps...

I worked on F-100-100 for awhile.

As I recall, there was a series of concentric flame-holder rings down-stream of the last turbine-stage. Each ring had a fuel distribution system in the ring.

1st-stage augmenter: fuel was fed to the inner [outer?] ring.

2nd-stage augmenter: fuel was fed to the inner [outer?] ring and the next [adjacent] ring.

3rd, 4th, 5th stages had similar increasing fuel-dump and thrust effects.

Ignition was simple: at full [military] thrust the TET was +1100F and easily** ignited the hot fuel for each augmenter stage. The flame holder insure that combustion occurred just aft of the rings, not down-stream where the added energy would have nothing to react-thrust against.

** JP-4 was highly volatile... and lit-off easily... even at extreme cold temperatures. JP-8 was a different story... hard to light-off with extremely cold fuel [generally during deep-cold winter operations].

Regards, Wil Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back