Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

agracultural trailer lighting requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintballJim

Mechanical
Dec 23, 2009
US
I have been asked to look up the requirements for lighting on ag trailers that occasionally get pulled on the highway. Particularly as regarding the light colors of clearance lights and stop/turn/tail lights. I would look on ASABE but I am not a member. Is there another place to look for this information?

Thank you

Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your local dmv or highway patrol will have that info, or can probably steer you in the right direction.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Strictly speaking, ag equipment is not equipped with stop lights. The latest regulations were coming into affect when I left CaseIH so I'm a little fuzzy on the details - but I think at a minimum you need 2 amber flashing warning lights, red turn lights and two red reflectors. I remember something that if the machine is over 9 or 10 ft wide a solid red light goes in the middle. And the ever present SMV.

But to Ornerynorsk's point, local laws always take precedence. Word was that there were a couple of counties in some unknown state that did not allow SMV's. Deere also used to make lights an option on implements, but then they got sued so all machines are now supplied with them.

ISZ

Actually, from AG talk I found that the code dealing with this area is ASABE S279.16 however my employer seems under the impression that by not using red lights for the brakes he can stay out from under the DOT regulations somehow. Maybe attaching the SMV sign is what allows the difference.

Just remember that an SMV is a "slow moving vehicle" sign. Strictly speaking they are supposed to be removed or covered when the vehicle in question is going over 25mph. (So yes, by law, tractors being hauled on trucks should have the signed covered) And if there is no SMV then the trailer would be covered by DOT.

ISZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back