Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Agricultural Engineering Book Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygear

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2011
US
I am trying to locate a book that contains formulas for calculating forces on a tractor due to a tiller or plow. A colleague of mine has a agricultural engineering book written in Japanese that contains all of the formulas, but I don't want to continue asking for his help in translating the book so I can understand the formulas. If anyone has a recommendation for a handbook/textbook with these formulas, I would really appreciate your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any physics book? Really? I've never seen any data on mechanical properties of soil in any physics textbook (and I have seen many!).

Perhaps look at the bookstores of universities with agricultural engineering programs. Purdue comes to mind, or any US university with "A&M" in its name.

Understood. Physics books have the calculations for force in them is what I was saying. As far as soil properties you would need another book that would coincide with the physics book.

There are a couple of PDF files on google related to Agricultural Engineering that may get you started. I tried to upload them in here but there too big. Good luck

I am not sure if they have a book out, but I remember that the University of Nebraska always did comparative tractor tests under load. You might want to use that in your search terms.

It doesn't help with plows, but I have a copy of "Farm Structures" by the Ferguson Foundation printed in 1950 that has a ton of stuff in it related to agriculture. More than just structures really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back