Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AHU Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeroman

Petroleum
Feb 28, 2003
CA
Using basic heat transfer rules I have determined how much heat will enter a room on the "design day". I have also added the amount of heat rejected from equipment in the room to determine the cooling load on the air handling unit responsible for cooling the room to a predetermined temperature. Now let's say that my total heat dissipation is 100kW, why has the vendor come back to me with a unit that has a potential cooling load of 150kW? Is this because I have only analyzed the one system (the room) and they have taken the unit as a second system and determined how much cooling is required to cool the outside air? Can anyone explain this? Thank you for your help, it is always appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you include the following:
-Latent load from people
-Outdoor air sensible & latent load
-Heat gain from the supply air fan
-Heat gain from the return air fan
-Heat gain from supply air ductwork portion in unconditioned soace
- Heat gain from return air ductwork in unconditioned space
- Infiltration (sensible & latent) if any
- Heat gain from lights

The latent capacity of package units may be more than you require but you have to accept it to meet the sensible load.

Also, at what conditions is the unit rated for 150KW? It might be nominally rated for 150KW, but de-rated to 100KW for the actual space conditons and outside air temperature for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back