Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Air Bearing design info needed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobfarmer

Mechanical
Jul 14, 2005
US
I need a source for air bearing design information. I need to incorporate one in a test stand. The bearing will be designed by someone else but I must allow for it in the overall design. Don't overload me just air bearing 101 maybe 201.

Thanks

bobfarmer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you need a hydrostatic air bearing (externally pressurized). Try "Fundamentals of Fliud Film Lubrication" by Hamrock. It has both types & a lot besides.
See also Dudley Fuller's book on lubrication. Don't remember title. It's old now but still good.
Good Luck---Gramp

Air bearing 100: Make sure your air supply is FREE of oil (at least presuming they're made of graphite). Nothing will kill a graphite air bearing faster than oil.

--------------------
Bring back the HP-15
--------------------

I spent some 15 years as an air bearing designer for use in metrology rotary tables and CMM's, here are some tips.
Basically there are two types of air bearing (aerostatic) in engineering use: porous type or orifice type.
Beggar is quite correct in saying that your air supply needs to be free of oil:
With both types of bearing pay very carefull attention to you air supply. It needs to be well filtered, oil-free and dry. Use a decent coalescing filter and air dryer (refridgerant or desiccant)that is more than capable of accepting the designed flow rates.
The orifice type tend to be more reliable and less susceptible to airline conditions. Remember, a porous type bearing is really a very effective air filter.

Beggar, I use a HP 19C printing calculator, beats the pants off anything else I've seen since I bought it new in the last century!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back