Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Air Cooler Design: multiple services in the same bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrino7

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2003
ES
I am designing an Air cooled Heat Exchanger (API 661), forced draft. And I have three bundles (each bundle handle a different service and the three are on one bundle sharing the pair of fans.
Could the bundles be completely different from each other, (it means, different number of rows, tube pitch, etc).
For the design, it should be considered an equal static pressure drop for the total bay. And this could be accomplished if bundles are different (different air flow will circulate through each bundle) But I suspect this is an unreal behavior, because fans not always are at the same conditions, process conditions may vary, etc…

Your comments will be highly appreciated

GH

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Peregrino7,

In my opinion, the foremost criterion for this is that the static pressures across all three tube bundles should match, because that's what will happen anyway. However, I think there are different opinions about the bundle configurations between cooler manufacturers. I also think that the more similar the bundles are in terms of tube pitch, tube diameter, and number of tube rows, the better.

I suppose it comes down to a question of how confident you are in the correlations you are using for the design.

Regards,

speco (

i think an non-equal static pressure might affect the flow in unpredictable ways. i Would balance the static pressure, even though i'm not really experienced yet in this domain. btw what program are u using for the design?

Elie Abou Jaoudeh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back