Air Dry Varnish instead of VPI ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManuSuissa

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2013
US
Hello everyone,

My client is requesting the elimination of the VPI step and is requesting an alternate process of applying air dry varnish during looping. This will be a new process for me and few concerns were brought on how to ensure the consistency of the varnish thickness on the turn to turn.

Is anyone familiar with the A/D Varnish process?

Thanks in advance,
E

Is the glass half empty? Half full? No, it's just twice as large as it needs to be.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi ManuSuissa,

The VPI process is a good practice and strong recommended.I don´t know why the customer wants that.

Like alternative you can use Resin or varnish . Please Take account insulation class of machine in order to know wich kind you will use.

Find a Cylindrical tank enought for room the stator and full fill of resin or varnish, put the winding inside this tank until windings are submersed, for better results first pre-heat the winding on bake oven. Once you finish this action then bake the winding for dry the resin or varnish. Read all chemical specifications of used product in order to know the temperature and baking time.

Some times could be good you perform this action twice like VFD motors or large machines.

Regards

Carlos

you do not tell specs on the devices being varnished; pretty important.

If 12vdc motors, air dry is prob just fine.

If 230vac not for vfd duty prob just fine.

If 230vac for use on any sort of PWM drive (vfd or brushless etc) you MAY be ok ifyou have decent operators.

If 460vac motors for use on vfds GIVE IT UP - THE RETURN RATE WILL PROBABLY BE OVER 50% FAILURES.

(in Bulgaria) we have a great "air dry varnish", which is even beter than VPI.
I dont want to make an advertisement, but if somebody wants to try it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back