Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Air Force weighing turning T-7 into F-7 armed light attack jet: Official 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WKTaylor

Sep 24, 2001
US

The gap between a refined trainer... with add-on lead-in-fighter/attack light-weight weapons pylons... VS a dedicated/survivable/capable combat aircraft is huge. This seems like a 'no-big-deal'... but it REALLY is gigantic.

I worked T-37 and A-37 years ago [OK: 1983-to-1988]. At first I was not a fan of either jet [not pretty, somewhat oddly buttugly]. BUT after awhile, I developed a grudging respect and then admiration for the old-generation [WWII era] Cessna designers. They smartly designed the compact T-37A... found ways to extend/evolve the T-37A to the demonstrator YAT-37D just prior to the VN war. AND then, ultimately created a deadly combat jet into the A-37A that evolved further... after REAL VN combat... to the more capable/survivable A-37B. The final A-37B design incorporated with subtle, but major, design elements... which almost doubled the gross weight and quadrupled the available thrust... within the 'same airframe envelope' [OH Yeah... they increased the wing area too]... for starters. It became a lean-mean-killing machine... which was also really hard to shoot-down [~12 USAF lost in attack... others lost primarily to accidents, in-coming mortars/rockets or sappers].

In the mid 1980s, I actually studied a variant of the A-37B... Cessna-proposed A-37D variant, late in the VN war, as a highly refined light attack combat jet... which the USAF rejected. After awhile I arrogantly decided to refine the 37D design further... only to find-out how mind-bending-complex a true combat jet can become... it is a unique-system-of-system that has wholly special elements which must be brought together in harmony unlike anything mere mortals individually can conceive of. The exercise over 2.5 years was humbling and informative... leading to my deeper understanding of MIL-Acft... and to my experiences-to-come with a huge number of other MIL aircraft types thru the years [in ROK/USAF depot and the field]... up-to-today. IF curious, click on my name to see... in-brief... most of what I've worked-on. But I digress...

Anyone else have similar experiences... with going-from simple aircraft 'A' to vastly-more-complex aircraft 'B' of the 'same design'???

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

completely different market, but Bombardier "modified" the 24 pax 15000 flight Challenger into the 50 (ultimately 100) pax 80000 (later 60000) flight CRJ,

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

RB... that's a stretch... wink...

Successful evolution usually begins with a solid concept... and LOTS of tinkering...

A recent military ~equivalent would be the FA-18A/B/C/D Hornet VS F-18E/F Super Hornet... which is ~20% larger that the original Hornet... and is now almost the size of a USAF F-15.

Which reminds me: has anyone else ever seen this early USAF/Naval-capable F-15 concept? Here it is... an early F-15 mockup with shortened V-Stabs and ventral fins and squat-landing gear and outer wings that would-have folded-up.

F-15_Mockup_Short_V_Stabs_early_1970s_jffek5.jpg

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

has anyone else ever seen this early USAF/Naval-capable F-15 concept?

No, but I'd love it if you could box that one up for us to go. It would look absolutely great in the company boardroom.
;)

Do you follow Mover's Youtube channel? He and Gonky interviewed a USAF engineer (Rick Abell) last month who was charged with key parts of several aircraft system design projects including the A-10 and F-15. It's a 2 hour interview and he talks extensively about issues like these. (Though not about the T-7).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back