Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Air Hoses - 5S 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelMechEng

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2022
US
What type of air hose systems do you guys recommend when trying to implement 5S on a production cell?

I'm looking for something retractable and ergonomic

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Retractable hose reels from your favorite local shop. Don't buy the cheapest you can find, they'll break and you'll be replacing them within a year on the reels that see the most use. I would put higher preference on a supplier that has service, warranty, face to face that will take care of issues vs. the online retailer that gives you the best price. They're simple enough mechanisms, but it seems like there are always a couple in every shop that don't work quite right.

Make sure the air hose is long enough to reach to the edge of the next workcell (linear distance on the floor +2x the distance up to the reel for working slack) so you can run the line over if someone needs a second run or a hose is down for service. The other option is to make it as long as the circumference of the workcell to allow the operators enough hose to circle the work.

I've done the style that are suspended high overhead and are draped down in the cell, they work better for some types of work, but it's less of a one-size-fits-all between short and tall operators, and needing a lift to do any service. They'll also pull tools up past face-height if someone accidentally hits the rewind while working. I prefer the setup that drops down to a reel that's just above head height; easier to service tools get dragged moreso "over" instead of "up", and there's less head knock hazards in the middle of the workcell.

Again, I'd go with whoever you have the better relationship with. It's very likely you'll need parts and/or service. While those 3 companies make it easy to do business with them, I wouldn't shop with them on items that require service and upkeep, unless they're the distributor for a brand you can get direct support from, or you have a good service account with them. For me Grainger beats the other two on service, but I'd still go with the local guy that shows up after a phone call and takes care of everything.

It's been a number of years since I did the setup and purchasing, and my name was mud for a while making rookie choices trying to save money and outfitting the shop with cheap hose reels (among other things). But I couldn't comment on what's currently available as far as brands of hose reels. I'm sure they're all coming out of the same industrial district in China, regardless.

We had hose reals that were actually part of pieces of equipment.
There was a carriage that traveled 60' each cycle and it needed air.
We worked with the guys that made hydraulic hoses for us.
We found out latter that they bought the best ones that they could find.
And if there was a hose failure they rebuilt it with better hose.
If the real failed they figured out how to strengthen it.
These were 2-3x the price of regular shop reals but we had ZERO downtime from them.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Who do you go to locally for hydraulic and pneumatic stuff?
For this type of item service is far more important than up front cost.
Rputvin is correct about this.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back