Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Air operated valve air consumption rates 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg8

Industrial
Nov 15, 2005
GB
Somewhere I have seen a document which allowed me to estimate the compressed air consumption of air op valves in a small system. It listed estimated air consumption rates for on-off actuators as well as control type actuators. Of course, now I can't find the blasted doc anywhere! Does anyone know where I CAN find such a thing? Obviously, I could simply total up the consumption of all my valves...except this is still at the concept stage, so I haven't got any yet to total up!

Thanks in advance

Mike

90% of a project takes 90% of the time...the last 10% of a project takes the other 90% of the time!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mikeg8,

I don't know of any definitive documents that lists IA (Instr Air) consumption. I typically compile my own.

I am currently also sizing an IA pacakge. This is what I do.

1) Look up the constant bleed of your I/P, controllers, etc.
2) For on/off valves, look at the volume of the actuator, and multiply by number of times an hour you think it will actuate.
3) For modulating valves, look at the volume of the actuator, and multiply by the % increment per control movement, and frequence of commanded movement. I typically use 1% every 4 seconds as a guess.

Add it all up.

Or, you can use a rule of thumb:
1) Use 1.5 scfm per actuated valve, regardless of type.
2) Add it all up and multiply by 2.

This is way faster.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Thanks Ashereng I knew I could count on this forum, yet again, to help me out!

Thanks again

Mike

90% of a project takes 90% of the time...the last 10% of a project takes the other 90% of the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back