Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Air removal from pipeline with multiple high and low points

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianle

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2006
US
How should I remove the air from a 300 foot long 4" fuel oil pipe that has 3 low points and 3 high points and multiple bends? The pipe is connected to a tank with 10 feet of oil in it. There are no drains in the low points and small vents in the sections of pipe that are the 2nd and 3rd high points from the tank. The end has a flanged spool piece between valves that is in the section with the 3rd high point. I estimate there is about 150 gallons of oil/air in the pipeline.

Should the spool piece be removed and a large (3"-4" diameter) hose be connected, and then let about 300 gallons of oil flow from the storage tank into a small tank/tank truck until there is no more air? Would a tank installer company typically do this type of work?

Thanks,

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you provide a profile with heights realtive to the tank and each other? If any high points are higher than the liquid level in the first tank then you'll never get rid of the vapour. Is the tank at the beginning or the end? What is at the end? You clearly know your system, but need to describe it much better to allow people to help you.

Do you have a pump avaialble to pump liquid or is it only gravity helping you? What is your flow rate? If you can pump at about 3m/sec / 10ft/sec you should be able to clear it all out, but more info would be good. Why can't you just vent it if someone has installed thse presumabaly for this reason (I think this isn't a good move, but just asking)

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back