Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Air transportable light 12V 10AH+ batteries inside industrial equipment, not lead acid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2VKo6W8m2c6

Aerospace
Sep 25, 2015
GB
Currently we currently make a piece of equipment containing a 12V 20AH IATA FAA approved sealed lead acid battery.
I haven't had many issues transporting this around the planet on planes in the hold with correct documentation (Apart from some US ports) but we now have a requirement for a new smaller lighter system.

With our new circuit design we only now need a 12V 10AH or there about but need it as small as possible so I have been looking at Lithium Iron & Polymer types for same power but much reduced size and found a few around 1KG weight (compared to about 5-6KG Lead Acid for comparable size)

IATA rules are that you can transport <160Wh Lithium batteries in the hold with airline approval.

What battery technology would you use for this type of application?

Is there a safer alternative technology around the same power level somewhere between weight of LiPo & Lead Acid types and doesn't have the same air transport issues?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Rechargeable?

There are quite a few high power density lithium primary (non-rechargeable) cells that are used inside all sorts of ELTs and emergency beacons (radio and acoustic). Some of them are 'certified' to a whole host of applicable standards relating to aircraft installations.

Even if you want rechargeable, then follow the leads to suppliers like Saft and see what products they offer.

I can guarantee you will have endless troubles with trying to 'airline' any battery with Li in it these days. In fear of having a dumb employee problem airlines are lazily declaring any trace of Li as being non-transportable. The tiniest coin cells mounted in a product are being treated as pariahs now. I've had to redesign products just to get Li batteries out of them.

There are scads of 10 and 12AH (VRLA) lead acid batteries available. Why not just use what you know works?

Keith Cress
kcress -

Aircraft are full of LRUs with lithium based primary cells. The latest LiMnO2 cells meet a whole list of safety regulations representing a 'battery' (<- LOL) of qualification tests. They're in ELTs, Underwater Acoustic Beacons, EGI nav, and likely more. Failures happen, but are rare when policy is followed.

You can't bolt on inherent cell safety. Some of it needs to be designed into the cell itself, and proven by qualification test. Circuits can protect against electrical abuse, but that's nothing close to what approval authorities would require.

One of the dangers of Li-ion cells (e.g. 18650 type) are internal short circuits caused by contamination or defects during manufacture, or physical damage. There's nothing that an external circuit can do about an internal short circuit in a high energy cell.

VE1BLL; You're still looking at random denials by various airlines if they find Li in whatever you're carrying or checking. Betty Boarding Agent is not going to understand that you have a "certified" or "approved" Lithium battery. And I believe the OP needs a secondary battery anyway NOT a primary. His product was sucking down 20AH batteries which probably implies recharging.

Keith Cress
kcress -

The easiest way would be to find lithium batteries rated for use in the aircraft. There are some aircraft rated lithium batteries with all of the FAA RTCA and TSO certifications beginning to appear on the market intended for use as the main battery and emergency batteries in small aircraft and business jets. However they are 28V.

Thanks for the advice guys I'll look them up.

Customers are complaining a little about overall size and weight of the system battery box which is why I was thinking lithium to replace the lead acid types.

This piece of kit is usually transported in a Peli case and causes some airline "experts" to freak out. Special thanks to the lovely people in Seattle and Singapore airports for the most rediculous experiences to date!

On this subject here is a web class that's on tomorrow. 2VKo6W8m2c6 you might find it interesting or useful.

[link Intertek webinar link]http://links.intertek.mkt4245.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MTI1MzgxMDgS1&r=MTkxNDM0ODI4MjkxS0&j=NjIyMTg1OTQxS0&mt=1&rt=0[/url]

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back