Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Airbus Documentation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

debodine

Electrical
Sep 23, 2004
US
Our company has access (recently acquired) to Airbus World where we can view various Airbus documents for their aircraft (maintenance, repair and engineering data).

My boss keeps talking about locating Airbus "frame specs" which he says will give information about the fuselage frames. I am not a wizard on Airbus documentation at all, and the ONLY Airbus documentation I can find on the site, at FAA.GOV or any other place on the web that I search that talks about frame specs mentions a Frame Specification for Galleys and a Frame Specifcation for Seats on Airbus aircraft. I cannot find any Frame Specification that talks about the fuselage frames.

I think that the fuselage frames themselves may actually be fully described in the SRM and in the engineering drawings in a manner similar to Boeing. However, although I can view the SRM and the engineering drawings I cannot conclusively prove the negative and he honestly believes what someone told him about there being a separate frame spec for fuselage frames...and he may be exactly right.

If such a document does exist, it would be great if someone could just supply the document number I am sure I can find it on Airbus World if our recently granted access is authorized to view it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By frame spec, do you mean shape profile or do you mean material spec. I believe that you can find them both within the released engineering documentation on the site. Airbus is pretty good at providing documentation for their product, unlike their competitor.

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Debodine,

In the SRM structural identification, you should be able to find the spec. ref. for the respective frame profile.

Once you have the spec. ref, you can find it in the airbus standards manual (sm), under "AirN@v/Associated Data", on the portal.

The specs, in the sm, will show you all the cross-sectional poperties of the profile.

CoffinsCorner, I did locate the SRM reference to the frames which has hyperlinks to the engineering drawings, for example A53771050208. Opening the A53771050 engineering drawing (the hyperlink to the drawing does not work for us but I can manually go to the engineering drawing page and look it up) reveals the specifications via hyperlinks. For example one A340 frame I was seeking is standard part specification ABS5043D1. Clicking on the hyperlink for ABS5043D1 takes me to the SM.

However, the SM kept returning a message to me of "No Element Found. Please Modify Your Search." Since I had not performed a search but merely clicked a hyperlink from the engineering drawing, I sent a Request For Information to Airbus asking why the hyperlink does not work.

I did review the SM as well for ABS5043 and determined that the ABS5043D1 does not exist. The numbers in the SM are in the format ABS5043D002 not ABS5043D1 (three digits rather than one digit after the letter D) and I cannot explain the difference. When I click on any of the hyperlinks in the SM (for example again, ABS5043D002 it loops me right back to the page I am already on rather than taking me to another page, so I wonder if the hyperlinks do not work for us.

We are in the United States, thus a LONG way away, and every single screen change for every single key click takes a minimum of 30 seconds (best case) to four minutes (worst case so far) to see a new screen. As you can imagine, searching the Airbus World website is a very painful exercise under those conditions. (Click the wrong button and you will spend a MINIMUM of three minutes just to get back to where you were before your errant click.)

I will keep at it and also look forward to the Airbus response.

Thanks for the info!

debodine,

I've had that same problem with Rolls Royce manuals. Very frustrating.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Debodine,

I had the same problem when i started out with Airbus documentation...

About frame specs, they are really really really hard to find and Airbus doesn't let them go out very easily. If I remember well, some are listed in the type certificate of the A/C. As far as i can remember I have not seen any for the frames and I agree with you that all the data you are looking for should be in the SRM.

Now for your particular problem for A53771050208. I would assume it is ABS5043D100 but ask for Airbus to agree in writing. The spec you need to download in the SM is for ABS5043. On top of the page you will find a pdf you can download.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back