Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aircraft rivets and fasteners. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregori12

Aerospace
Apr 26, 2015
PL
Hello, I'm Greg. I'm looking for the name of rivets and fasteners used in aviation that are shown in the pictures below and the method of installation. Then I would like to inquire about how to perform metallization in the corners of plates in the pictures.
photo_1a_st5j68.jpg

photo_2a_yi71yl.jpg

Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 'metallization' looks like conversion coating, also called Iridite or Alodine (from Henkel Loctite)) for the commercial product names. See MIL-DTL-5541 DETAIL SPECIFICATION, CHEMICAL CONVERSION COATINGS ON ALUMINUM AND ALUMINUM ALLOYS as well.

The pictures look like collar lockbolts, such as or I think they are often called huck-bolts, for the manufacturer.

I can't tell what the littlest ones are from the pictures.

I agree with Dave, the fastener on the far left is known as a lockbolt, see standards such as EN 4401, NAS 1446 to 1452, NAS 621, etc. The externally grooved piece is usually called a pin and the mating piece is called a collar, and together they are called a lockbolt. The fastener in the middle appears to have a bihexagonal (12-point) nut on a conventionally threaded bolt/pin. The smaller fastener is not clear. Can you take another photo of the fasteners that is higher resolution and closer (more zoomed in)?

The small fasteners appear to be blind, breakstem rivets, which would be installed by a standard rivet gun.

Agree with others, the medium-sized parts on the left are lockbolts. These require two-sided access and are assembled with a specialized tool that is similar to a rivet gun.

The larger fasteners in the middle appear to be a screw plus nut, and would be assembled using a standard hand or power tool with a bihexagonal socket.

I do not understand what you mean with your final question regarding metallization.

The 12-point aircraft bolts and lock nut (lower center in first photo) specs can be found on SPS's website. Check the height of the bolt head and nut against some of the SPS specs to determine if they are shear or tension type fasteners. I believe SPS has specs for both UNJF and metric thread sizes.

The small fasteners in the upper right of the first photo look like blind pull rivets.

If the panel is aluminum it's likely alodine chem film, but could also be some type of electroplating like cadmium or zinc. If the panel is steel it is probably electroplating.

Hope that helps.
Terry

Gregori12... REF Your photos of installed fasteners.

I believe You need to get your hands on a copy of Permanent Fasteners for Light-Weight Structures - K Hoffer (Breman, 1984). This 'little blue-book' is the BEST book I ever found on the subject of installed fasteners. Not sure where I got my copy... but I'll never let it go. And yes, I scanned/*.pdf'ed/OCR'ed it for my use and for limited distribution here at work.

This book contains virtually every fastener type I've ever worked with, INSTALLED. There is a graphical view [tech illustration] of each fastener as it 'should appear installed'... and then there is a photo of a representative fastener 'properly installed' in a 2-sheet assembly. The key [beauty] to these photos of the installed fastener is that each installation is very carefully sectioned [cut] thru the mid-point axis of the to show what it looks like in a 'real-world' installation. The photo reveals 'dirty little secrets' such as gaps/voids, miss-matches/fits, irregular deformations, tail shapes/sizes, etc [the reason we must be careful with every element of fastener installations].

NOTE. One afternoon a new/green engineer, unfamiliar with rivet installations, was called to the shop floor to examine blind rivets in a panel assembly that were "improperly installed by the vendor", IE: they looked very different from the solid driven rivets everyone was used to seeing. Since these blind rivets were authorized substitutes, this raised a big red-flag. The engineer was getting worked-up and hot under the collar about poor blind rivet quality... especially the lack of a 'bulbed tail'. I asked what blind was used: NAS1398B5s blind rivets were installed ILO MS20470AD5 solid rivets. I pulled this blue-book out and showed him both rivets as they 'were supposed-to-be installed'. The NAS1398s in the panel assy matched the the photos from the book... and the 'red flag' was lowered immediately. However, the solid rivets looked much sturdier... so I showed him alternative 'bulbed cherry-max blind rivets' that I personally would prefer be installed this assembly. Simply put, the bulbed cherry-max rivets help pull sheets together and also had a substantial bulbed tail for tension resistance [which the 1398s do not have]... and have a options for nominal [NAS9301] and 1st oversize [0.0162" OS NAS9304 for repair]. Since the 1398 only comes with a nominal dia shank, and it has a tiny bulbed tail, it is more-difficult to install by-the-book. MOTE: there is a 1/64" OS's version of the 1398 for repair but that version is special order from Cherry...NO NAS number equiv... and are very hard to get in a timely manner. NOTE: Guess what I normally specify instead on the OS version of the 1398???... NAS9304!

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion"]
o Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. [Picasso]

I agree with wil taylor (not sure that I ever disagree with him), the reference Permanent Fasteners for Light-Weight Structures is excellent. I also have a scanned in version, and suggest that you find a copy at a university library or purchase it online if you need to work with these kinds of fasteners.

TVP-

I was not familiar with this text, but it sounds like something worth having a copy of. I checked around online and could not find a new/used hard copy or e-book version for sale, nor could I find any contact information for the publisher. I found a couple university libraries that listed a hard copy, but none were within 300 miles.

Do you know of a legitimate source to obtain a digital copy of this text? I'd hate having to resort to sending my team of covert industrial espionage operatives over to wktaylor's engineering HQ to microfilm his hard copy. [blues]

All...

Found these sites offering Permanent Fasteners for Light-Weight Structures - K Hoffer (Breman, 1984) for sale... although availability and price$ seemed to be somewhat obscure.

TVP: my hand-scanned *.pdf copy [hi-res], weighs-in a ~80Mb... how heavy is Your copy???

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion"]
o Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. [Picasso]

Wil,

If it weren't for second opinions on the book I'd think there is more luck getting the Holy Grail. As it is this little publication is only more readily available than original Gutenberg bibles.

It's a shame that there are orphan publications like this, where they must be under copyright, but the owner of the property is hard to find or has no interest in either relinquishing or republishing. This came up with respect to a sketch artist named Andrew Loomis, who had a series of 'how to draw' books that are similarly respected and sought after, similarly hard to find, and similarly under copyright control. I happened on it when someone posted scans of a copy they had, because they were unable to find new ones and thought other artists could benefit. He soon got a take-down notice from Loomis's family, and apologized. In this case it looks like his posting suggested there was interest and some of his books were reprinted recently.

Anyone have a website and a willingness to basically beg for a take-down notice so the property owner will show themselves?

wktaylor-

Thanks for the links, but I had already checked all of them. The online book retailers like Amazon, B&N, Abes, etc, listed the title but did not have any copies (new or used) available. I also checked eBay.

I did manage to find a website that offered a .pdf version for "free" download, but after registering they asked for a credit card and their website did not seem totally legit, so I did not continue.

I added it my wish list on Amazon. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone selling a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back