Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aircraft Structures Analysis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afarr

Aerospace
Sep 30, 2015
MT
Hello everybody,

I wish to hear your views on aircraft structural training. I did some research and found out two possible online courses:

1. PSA1 edu
2. ASSA certificate from AMC academy.

What are your thoughts? Did anyone attempt to enrol, what are comments??

PS. If you know of other courses suitable for P21 design engineer, please do share :)

Regards,

Dru

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are referring to the Practical Stress Analysis by Jean Claude Flabel, then I have done it and it was worthwhile for engineers with up to about 5 years experience as a stress analyst.
I would recommend you get his book first or at least have a look at the contents page. The course is reading each chapter and then doing the example questions plus some additional questions. The most valuable part is that your answers are marked by Jean Claude himself and explanations given if you are wrong.

Thanks for writing back.

Yes I was referring to the Practical Stress Analysis by Jean Claude Flabel. Was not sure about it first however after receiving a follow-up email, it seems good to consider as a starter. From your personal experience how long does it take to cover the course on average?

The other course is a certified one: 'Aircraft Structure Stress Analysis' however they do not provide literature reading.

@Stezza: What wold you recommend as a continued study/ OJT for A/C design changes requiring stress analysis.

PSA,by Flabel is an excellent intro text pertaining to airframe structures.The example problems are very well detailed out with explanations,my only complaint was there are not enough of them.This is no big deal,as you can always turn to other texts for problems to hone your understanding.Remember,the more problems you work the better your understanding of the material.Does the book deserve a short course,I think not,save your money or invest it in other structures texts,there are several good ones out there,in addition to the classic's.

You may also consider this course:
The instructor taught me aircraft structural analysis, when he was a college instructor, and Simon B's aircraft structures courses are still based on his college curriculum.
The majority of his course is taught from Bruhn's Analysis and Design of Flight Vehicle Structures.

I have a copy of Flabel's book, and I believe I would use it more often if I had taken his courses, but my grounding with Bruhn has been sufficient for much of my structures work so far.

STF

Thank you all for your input.

I am still deciding whether to opt for the Flabel course to get the ball rolling. Hopefully the company can provide/identify further training courses (fingers crossed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back