Airflow Pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechwill

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2013
CA
Hi, Everyone

Is there a textbook or a website that I can study about the behavior or airflow pattern?

The idea is simple: using a blower/fan on one end of a pipe with a deflector (blade/propeller) in the middle and creating whirl airflow pattern. In other word, pressurized air is forced into a pipe with a deflector to change the flow pattern.

I am no aerodynamic engineer, but I believe it relates to air pressure, air flow rate, reynold's number, pressure losses, etc.

If there is any guideline or textbook regard to this, please don't hesitate to with the reply below.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

? The use of a (axial) fan at one end of the tube to blow air into the tube will will cause a rotation of the air mass going through the tube - gradually damped out by friction with the tube walls and itself.

Wind tunnels acually have a problem with this and put 'grids' of vanes to try and straighten the airflow - plus contra rotating fans on occasion.

Jet engine compressors on the other hand often have vanes to help guide air flow.

So depending exactly what you're trying to do take a look at one or other of those maybe.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Kenat,

The application that I am working on is to use the advantage of air pattern to create or furnish better combustion for heating. The setup is really similar to jet engine compressors with vanes.

something like this

(source:google image)

The whirling air pattern will help to the process of combustion or concentrate the flame. So, what I am trying to find is that under what kind of condition (air pressure or air flow rate from a blower) with air delfector (such as van) can create the whirling airflow pattern.

Is there a design guide of designing the jet engine compressor vane? Maybe I can start with that.

Does a blower (i.e. leaf blower) create rotation of the air mass going through the tube as well?

My leaf blower uses a centrifugal blower so while the air flow will not be smooth, I'm not sure there's a single overall rotary flow of the air coming out.

An axial fan on the other hand should tend to create a moving mass of air with an overal rotation.

Try googling terms like "axial fan airflow rotation" or similar.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back