Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AISC Seismic Design Manual 2nd Edition EBF Table? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehMightyEngineer

Structural
Aug 1, 2009
US
In the 2006 edition (black) of the seismic design manual they had Table 3-1 which gave design values for EBF link beams. In the 2nd edition (maroon) seismic design manual this table appears to have been removed. Any idea where it went or why it was deleted?

Professional Engineer (ME, NH, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Someone else found the answer to this question for me; posting here for future reference:

From Larry Muir at the AISC Steel Solutions Center in response to my question about why the table had been eliminated and if the older table was still valid.

"It had been determined that one could easily replicate Table 3-1 using a spreadsheet so a decision was made to remove this table in the 2nd Edition. A consideration was also likely that the size of the Manual doubled from the 1st Edition to the 2nd Edition and will increase in size again for the 3rd.

We believe the only changes that may impact the use of the table are:

(1) The Table D1.1 criteria for highly ductile b/t ratios of webs changed from 2005 to 2010. So some sections shown in the 1st edition may not be valid choices for links in 2010.

(2) There could be cases where the table values are slightly different as a result of minor changes to section properties."

Professional Engineer (ME, NH, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back