Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AISI S100-16 vs CSA S136-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngDM

Structural
Aug 10, 2021
CA
I'm hoping that one of you might be able to confirm my findings that S136 and AISI S100 are the same standard for cold formed steel. With the new NBCC being adopted, they now specify a newer version of S126, but the AISI is free access. Are there any differences between these at all other than the page headers?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

canwesteng said:
Yep, S136-16 is just AISI copied over. Do you have Appendix B in the free access AISI?

Yes it does.

Just trying to get my codes in order before NBCC 2020 takes affect in January. Sometime in the near future I have to figure out how to tackle earthquake design with all of those different irregularities. Oh joy.

Which province is doing NBCC 2020 in January?

I'm looking forward to the shitshow of confusion that's coming from the changes in the way seismic inputs are reported. I've already had pain from Geotechnical engineers using the NBCC 2020 seismic hazard calculator, taking the S(T) output and using old table templates in their report that labelled them as Sa(T). I had a client trying to buy equipment using an S(0.2) of like 1.5 because they had a crappy site class and applied the modifier to the value that the calculator spat out, which already has the site class multiplier applied.

I've also had a half dozen people come to me to say things like "They've hugely increased the seismic values in NBCC 2020" when it's really just that they're getting amplified values from the hazard calculator.

Manitoba is enacting it Jan 1. And considering we outright bypassed the 2015, I'm glad to hear they're doing something. However I could really do with them to remove the seismic requirements as well, I'm quite rusty on that (read: essentially clueless).

jayrod12 said:
However I could really do with them to remove the seismic requirements as well

I hear you, but it doesn't look like they will be ammending those out sadly. I'm analyzing one right now that is a pretty slender hollowcore construction and earthquake governs over wind even with how low the seismic zone is.

For wood framed I don't see it ever being a problem just due to the weight being so light.

TLHS said:
I've also had a half dozen people come to me to say things like "They've hugely increased the seismic values in NBCC 2020" when it's really just that they're getting amplified values from the hazard calculator.

Do you have any references for the new seismic procedure? As jayrod12 said, I am also essentially clueless on this. There is a 2020 commentary referenced in the NBCC 2020 code, but I can't find it anywhere online or on the NRC website.

Yeah, we ran a few example buildings and the short heavy ones are seismic governed, otherwise they've been pretty well wind governed for all other types.

The killer part of seismic will be getting enough LFRS for the narrow direction loading since we're so used to having minimal demand when only considering wind. But such is life and we'll figure it out.

They are increasing the seismic values a bunch in 2020 though, at least in some parts of BC. Some parts of the interior are unchanged, but some locations on the coast and in the rockies jumped 50% in 2020. But if you double dipped and used site class modifications and the 2020 values you could end up with crazy numbers (not like that never happened before, with goetech including site class in the spectral accelerations they report and then engineers doubling up on it.

In 2015 they removed a lot of the "if I*S*F<0.35, ignore this", maybe that is the issue being referred to if MB jumped from 2010 to 2020?

canwesteng said:
In 2015 they removed a lot of the "if I*S*F<0.35, ignore this", maybe that is the issue being referred to if MB jumped from 2010 to 2020?
Yeah, it's essentially this. But our Manitoba Amendments for the 2010 code actually replaced sentence 4.1.8.4.(7) with "For the purposes of Sentence 4.1.8.1.(1), the value of Sa(0.2) in Manitoba is deemed to be zero."

But apparently they are no longer including that revision in this next code adoption.

Considering Manitoba is still using the 2010 code... we are only surpassed by Newfoundland and Labrador...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back