Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aisle widths and fire exits

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieEngr

Industrial
May 12, 2004
US
I am currently evaluating our facility for OSHA compliance regarding aisle widths and fire exits. The questions of concern I have are:

Do aisle have to be marked? Do they have to be a minimum of four feet? Do they have to be marked or designated? The OSHA website states that they should be 3 feet wider than the larger material or equipment passing thru or a minimum of four feet. However, I recall in my Facilities Design class that non-main aisles for personnel should be three feet.

Also, with regard to fire exits, do they also have to be marked? I understand that they are to be within a line of sight, marked, and free of obstructions.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isleways where you have material flow does have to be at least 3 feet wider than your material.

Exit routes, or exit access must be at least 28" wide at all points. There can not be anything placed in the isle that will restrict the access to the exit.

All fire exits must be marked according to NFPA 101. They do not have to be within line of site, but you have to provide signage that provides clear understanding of the direction of the fire exit. (this can take several signs, for an example go to a school or large office building with lots of halls) The exits must be locked from the inside, and must be clear of obstructions.

One add-on to this discussion. Too often we forget that the outside of the exit must also be unobstructed and take the personnel to a safe location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back