Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Al flame spray CT exhaust stack

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorangle

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2002
US
I have corrosion problems in the exhaust stack of My Pratt & Whitney simple cycle combustion turbines. A vendor claims he can solve my corrosion problems by flame spraying the lower 20 feet of the exhaust stack with Aluminum (sorry no alloy specifications yet). Exhaust stack temperatures can exceed 700 degrees F. Anyone with experience in this area? Can you advise me in were to get some information?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We met e similar problem recently. The Turbines were standby for emergency need. The exhaust towers were flame sprayed Aluminium. They were in an a North Yorkshire Moorland location. Early in life they looked very rusty and stained because the sprayed Al is porous and lets in the rain, hence unsightly corrosion. Client wanted to overcoat the surface with a brush applied coating. Problem was that due to porous nature of the surface we could not guarantee any coating would not blister/bubble. We never yet decided on the best solution to the problem. I think it is still unsightly rusted. cheers DW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back