Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Al heat treat literature suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwillms

Mechanical
Sep 5, 2002
DE
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a decent print resource/reference book which describes aluminum heat treating processes from a chemical, metallugical, and physical point of view? Something from one of the societies?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASM International produces THE authoritative references with respect to materials engineering. I recommend you visit their website ( and check out the following references:

ASM HANDBOOK Volume 2 Properties and Selection: Nonferrous Alloys and Special-Purpose Materials

ASM HANDBOOK Volume 4 Heat Treating

ASM SPECIALTY HANDBOOK Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys

Heat Treater's Guide: Practices and Procedures for Nonferrous Alloys

Aluminum: Properties and Physical Metallurgy

The SPECIALTY HANDBOOK is a compilation of all the references to aluminum contained in the entire 20 volume ASM HANDBOOK series, so it contains more than just heat treating information-- lots of information on forming and forging, casting, fatigue and fracture, etc.

The Heat Treater's Guide is very good, but contains a lot of info on other alloys (titanium, copper, magnesium, etc.), so you should take that into consideration. I highly recommend all of the above reference books, but I realize that they are quite expensive, even for just one of the volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back