Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Alarm Output from J1939

Status
Not open for further replies.

TugboatEng

Marine/Ocean
Nov 1, 2015
US
I will be purchasing a new marine gen set soon and it is going to have J1939 can bus. I would like to tie it into my ancient alarm panel that requires relay inputs so I don't have to use pressure and temp switches. The engine will have J1939, Rs485, and eternet out. I need 3 relay outputs. So far I can find none that have an actual relay output, just sourcing and sinking. I know I can use that to switch relays but I'm looking for a single component solution.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't want much do you...

I would expect that generally you'd want to convert the J1939 to modbus/RTU using a protocol converter(-$300)

and pump the data into an inexpensive PLC (~$140).

Provide a simple touch screen Human/Machine Interface ($300).

Write some logic that observes and displays all the engine/generator values you're interested in and allows you to set and modify the alarm trip points of interest.(~couple of hours work)

Use the PLC's digital outputs or relay outputs(selected at purchase) to tickle the ancient alarm panel as desired/needed.

You could also use the PLC and HMI to do other unrelated logic missions you might have.

Alternatively you might be able to bend a J1939 dash board controller into doing your bidding, yes with relays, in lieu of the normally driven idiot-light outputs. (example: Systems_Link)

Keith Cress
kcress -

It's a Northern Lights gen set and will come with their TSCM interface. I ask because we had leased a boat and each engine, z-drive, and afew miscellaneous things each with their own interface and alarm. There were at least 9 different alarm systems so when one went off nobody knew where to look and they just got ignored. I think centralized alarm panels are essential but modern boat builders are taking advantage of the new electronic controlled engines and thinking they don't need central alarm systems. The engine manufactuers also don't make it easy to interface into central alarm systems. Caterpillar actually used to sell a relay output box with 10 relays but thst seems to have stopped when J1939 became standard. F.W. Murphy has some can bus converters that have two digital outputs per converter. I can probably use those to run solid state relays. It would be nice to have something a little more standalone but I can't find it.

That System Link kit itsmoked linked may do the trick. The other option I was looking at was two of the SenderCan units from Murphy. I wonder if they still need the $500 software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back